Start Date: August 15th, 2018
Josephinum is a college-preparatory high school and a proud member of the international Network of Sacred Heart Schools. Our mission is to empower young women to become confident, faith-filled leaders. We offer a world-class curriculum, designed to prepare students to be successful at college and in life.
In January 2016, Josephinum was authorized as an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, and the Class of 2018 was the first cohort to be fully immersed in the IB curriculum. In the years to follow, all Josephinum students will have the opportunity to pursue the prestigious IB Diploma.
The IB program, combined with Josephinum’s diverse community and international relationships through the Sacred Heart Network, provides our students with a unique and powerful opportunity to develop a global perspective and hone the skills that are demanded by our rapidly changing world.
As a Sacred Heart School, Josephinum measures its success one student at a time, and we seek to provide an education that meets the needs of the whole child. Our small class sizes and exceptional faculty focus on understanding the unique educational needs of each student, helping her to discover her unique gifts and fostering a passion for excellence in education, service, and faith.
The school counselor provides support services to students of Josephinum Academy through social/emotional, academic and career counseling. The counselor acts as an advocate for students’ well-being and serve as a valuable resource for their educational advancements in the International Baccalaureate program. The school counselor is responsible for providing direct counseling services, building and implementing group counseling curriculum, as well as developing and administering preventative programming. The school counselor must be willing to meet the needs of one's own professional development. Please see below for specific responsibilities of a school counselor at Josephinum Academy.
- Coordinate Social/Emotional Curriculum in accordance with ASCA standards.
- Provide brief individual counseling or group counseling for students in need of social/emotional support.
- Assist in peer mediations and crisis management.
- Allow for consultation with teachers, administration and parents when necessary.
- Participate in student staffings at school and in hospital settings on an as needed basis.
- Provide outside resources for students for additional support, as well as act as liaison between school and outside agencies that serve our students socially and emotionally.
- Assess social/emotional needs of students.
- Provide professional development to staff and faculty as needed.
- Promote Josephinum Academy as a safe haven for the students.
- Monitor academic progress, attendance, and behavioral concerns.
- Be able to complete credit checks for graduation requirements and create individual schedules for students.
- Attend and be an active participant in academic staffings for students.
- Communicate with parents about their student's academic successes and challenges.
- Provide academic advising in coordination with Dean of Curriculum & Instruction.
- Assist Student Services Department in Fall, Spring testing as well as proctoring the ACT and SAT at Josephinum.
- Interpret data received from Explore, Plan, Pre ACT, ACT and SAT Tests.
- Assist in comprehensive college planning across 4 years.
- Be familiar with and utilize Naviance and eDocs for all college application purposes.
- Be comfortable using information available on PowerSchool and adding data to it as needed.
- Assist in data entry of statistical information including demographics, college, scholarship and testing information.
- Serve as College Preparatory instructor and implement the curriculum which is delivered to the Junior class and supplemented through Schoology.
- Educate students and parents about colleges, the admission process, financial aid and help families and students choose a school that fits their needs and interests.
- Meet with college admissions representatives and facilitate meetings between the colleges and students.
- Be able to write letters of recommendations and assist faculty in formulating insightful letters of recommendation.
- Make available informational presentations to parents.
Qualifications and Key Attributes
- Master’s Degree in School Counseling
- 3 years of school counseling experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in and English
- Professional Educator’s License- PEL (preferred)
- IB experience (preferred)
- Spanish speaking (preferred)
Please email cover letter, resume and two current letters of recommendation to email@example.com
Josephinum Academy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, legal status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.