Visual and Performing Arts
As a school committed to inspiring and empowering young women of Chicago, Josephinum Academy wholeheartedly supports arts education. Over the last few years Josephinum has made significant strides towards developing a strong and comprehensive Visual and Performing Arts program. Although many schools and districts have cut arts funding, we continue to allocate our energy and resources to this program because we believe that arts education reinforces all of the skills and characteristics we desire for our students.
Through the arts, our students learn to be imaginative and inquisitive. They learn to become critical thinkers, effective communicators, and problem solvers. They learn the importance of teamwork, how to support each other through difficult times, and what it means to truly rely on one another. They learn the importance of meeting deadlines, following through on their work, and being responsible. Most importantly, our arts program gives our students the opportunity to be heard- a platform from which to share their voices, and this is perhaps, in and of itself, one the most important gifts we can give a young woman.
From drawing and painting to acting, writing, singing, learning a musical instrument and more, our Visual and Performing Arts Program and extracurricular clubs let students tap into their creative side. Wherever an artistic spirit leads, we encourage our Jo girls to follow.
Courses CURRENTLY OFFERED
- Advanced Drama (IB Year 2)
- Movement for Actors
- Script Analysis
- Intro to VIsual Arts
- Visual Arts
- Advanced Visual Arts (IB Year 2)
- Additional classes have included Shakespeare, Speech/Debate and more
Recent Theatrical Productions
- 2020 (Winter) Castaways by Itziar Pascual, translated by Phyllis Zatlin. Performed in English and Spanish. *American Premier”
- 2019 (Winter) Ubu Roi, by Alfred Jarry
- 2018 (Spring) Lapin, Lapin by Coliene Serreau
- 2018 (Winter) Josephinum Children's Theatre Project., featuring "The Wanderful Witches," "The Magician's Apprentice" and "The Lost Caspian Princess." All written, directed and performed by the IB Theatre Seniors.
- 2017 (Spring) Tiger at the Gates by Jean Giraudoux
- 2017 (Winter) R.U.R. Rossum's Universal Robots by Karel Capek
- 2016 (Spring) The Proposal and The Dangers of Tobacco by Anton Chekhov, and Marriage by Nikolai Gogol
- 2016 (Winter) Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare
- 2015 (Spring) Waiting for Lefty by Clifford Odets
- 2015 (Winter) Macbett by Eugene Ionesco
- 2014 (Spring) Black Comedy by Peter Shafer
- 2014 (Winter) Electra by Euripides
- 2013 (Spring) Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
- 2013 (Winter) The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
- 2012: (Spring): Just Deserts (one act plays by Anton Chekhov and Moliere)
- 2012 (Winter): Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- 2011: Henry V by William Shakespeare
- 2010: The Society of Adventurous Women by Chuck Palia